Organisation of Monument Protection and Conservation
Those concerned with matters relating to the protection and conservation of monuments, should first turn to local heritage protection authorities or the Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege (Bavarian Office for the Conservation of Historical Monuments, website in German).
These agencies are the competent authorities responsible for home owners, builders, designers, architects, etc. They provide information regarding all aspects of building permits, which are regulated in accordance with the Denkmalschutzgesetz (Bavarian Law for the Protection and Preservation of Monuments), and all aspects with regard to monument restoration, the use of heritage buildings, public funding, etc.
- Supreme authority for the protection and preservation of monuments: Bavarian State Ministry of Education, Science and the Arts
- Advisory board: Landesdenkmalrat (State Monument Council of Bavaria)
- High-level monument protection authorities: Regional governments
- Lower-level monument protection authorities: District offices, municipalities not associated with any district, major district towns as well as the towns of Alzenau (Lower Franconia), Burghausen, Feuchtwangen, Friedberg, Germering, Sulzbach-Rosenberg, Waldkraiburg, the market town Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the municipality of Vaterstetten
- Competent monument protection authority: Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege (Bavarian Office for the Conservation of Historical Monuments, website in German)
- Deutsches Nationalkomitee für Denkmalschutz (German National Committee for Monument Preservation, website in German)
- Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz (German Foundation for Monument Preservation, website in German)
- Vereinigung der Landesdenkmalpfleger (Association of State Monument Conservators, website in German) in the Federal Republic of Germany
Landesdenkmalrat – State Monument Council of Bavaria
The State Monument Council of Bavaria serves as an advisor to the Bavarian State Government and assists in important matters regarding cultural heritage preservation. Upon request by the Bavarian State Government, the Council may comment on specific issues or, out of its own initiative, advise the Bavarian State Government on all matters concerning the protection and conservation of monuments.
In addition to the representatives of political parties, the State Monument Council of Bavaria comprises representatives of all other groups which are directly involved in the protection and conservation of monuments, such as local communities, churches, private owners of heritage buildings, architects, the Bavarian Academy of Fine Arts, the Bayerischer Landesverein für Heimatpflege (Bavarian Association for the Preservation of Local Traditions) and experts in the fields of art history, prehistory and ancient history. This means the Council also serves as a democratic forum for the exchange of ideas, filtering of opinions and reconciliation of interests. To download a list of the Council's current members in PDF format, click here.
All business relevant to the Bavarian State Monument Council must be submitted to its chairman, former State Minister and active Member of the Bavarian State Parliament Dr. Thomas Goppel, via the Council's office.
Address and contact information:
Staatsminister a. D. Dr. Thomas Goppel
Landesdenkmalrat, Geschäftsstelle, Salvatorstrasse 2, 80327 Munich
Dr. Andreas Baur, Salvatorstrasse 2, 80327 Munich, Germany, Tel. +49(0)89 2186-2650
Mr Hans Stamp, Salvatorstrasse 2, 80327 Munich, Germany, Tel. +49(0)89 21 86-2640
Ms Cornelia Huber, Salvatorstrasse 2, 80327 Munich, Germany, Tel. +49(0)89 2186-2650
Decisions and Resolutions
Through its right on initiative, the Bavarian State Monument Council has developed a number of guidelines for practical monument conservation. These guidelines assist all authorities working in the area of monument conservation in their daily work.
The Bavarian State Monument Council has made significant decisions and adopted various resolutions, of which the following shall be mentioned:
- Resolution on the Preservation of Architectural Culture in Bavaria (website in German)
- Resolution on Sustainable Effectiveness of Cultural Heritage Preservation in Economy and Science in Bavaria (website in German)
- Open letter Regarding the Energy-Related Refurbishment of Architectural Testimony (in German)
You find a full list of the Council’s resolutions and documents here (in German).